- Traditional Nbele dolls in a nativity setting
- Mary doll body is beaded in a traditional Zulu pattern while Joseph and Baby Jesus dolls wear burlap with complimentary bead accents
- Black fabric and yarn for faces and hair
- Raffia-filled wood crib
- Largest pieces are approximately 6 inches tall
- Bead patterns and colors will vary from set to set
is situated at Hluhluwe within the province of KwaZulu Natal, South Africa. The organizations was established some 30 years ago, with a clear vision and objective of revitalizing and enhancing the age-old Zulu tradition of handcrafts, which at the time were in danger of being lost forever.
Today, Ilala Weavers helps over 2000 Zulu people, both men and women, to attain self sufficiency, by working from their homes and therefore retaining their lifestyle and rich heritage of basket weaving and bead work, which has been passed down through the generations by Zulu crafters, whose modern counterparts today produce stunning works of art, sought after the world over.